I consider myself a pretty good traveler. After four years of traveling every other weekend for collegiate volleyball, and now traveling around once a month across country to visit my bf, I've got the airport thing down. I have my shoes off, laptop out, boarding pass in hand within 5 seconds of grabbing my plastic bin. I always try to print my boarding pass ahead of time, and never check any bags (yes, saving an extra $20 is worth the shoulder pain from running around an airport with my carry-on, trying to catch my next flight). However, I came across these fantastic money saving travel tips and thought they were worth sharing.
1. Use craigslist- Instead of renting a bike for $20/day when you go some place new, buy one for $20 on craigslist, and sell it or donate it once you leave. Craigslist also posts great rental houses for a week or so at a time, at cheaper rates than a rental agency.
2. Share costs- When traveling with friends, split an entree or share a room to save some extra money.
3. Fly mid-week- Not always easy to do, but for those international (or other expensive flights) it's definitely worth it.
4. Eating out is cheaper at lunchtime- Lunch menus are often cheaper than dinner menus, and typically have the same meals
5. Don't use a taxi- Instead check out this site for ways to get around just about any city.
Now I am off for a girls weekend in NOLA! I am so excited to see the lovely ladies from Monteith Ave. Let the party begin!